Commercial Auto

Commercial Auto Insurance insures your vehicles for physical damage and liability coverages for amounts, situations, and usage not covered by a personal auto policy.
This type of business insurance covers a variety of vehicles and is also referred to as commercial car insurance, truck insurance, or fleet insurance. 

Why do you need Commercial Auto Insurance?

In general, if an auto is used in tasks related to the operator's occupation, profession or business, other than commuting, a commercial policy is necessary.
• If you are using your auto to transport goods or people for a fee or if you use your auto to conduct a service, you may need a commercial auto insurance policy.
• A commercial auto policy may be appropriate if you need higher limits of liability because of the nature of your work.
• A commercial insurance policy may be needed if employees operate the auto or if ownership is in the name of a corporation or partnership.

What does Commercial Auto Insurance cover?

Commercial auto insurance, like your personal auto policy, provides similar coverages such as liability, personal injury protection and uninsured /underinsured motorists coverage and if chosen, comprehensive and collision coverage.

However, there are also differences between a commercial auto insurance policy and your personal auto policy that may include eligibility, definitions, coverages, exclusions, and limits.
Some commercial auto policies are "named driver only" policies, meaning only those drivers listed on the policy can operate a covered auto. 

What are the coverages

• Bodily injury liability coverage – pays for bodily injury to or death of another resulting from an accident for which you are at fault and provides you with a legal defense.
• Property damage liability coverage – provides you with protection if your car accidentally damages another person’s property. It also provides you with a legal defense.
• Combined single limit (CSL) – A combined single limits policy has the same dollar amount of coverage per covered occurrence whether bodily injury or property damage, one person or several. The coverage does not have separate limits for bodily injury and property damage.
• Personal Injury Coverage –pays for the medical expenses , and if chosen , wage loss, funeral expenses and death benefit of the driver incurred as a result of a covered accident regardless of fault.The only coverage required by law is medical expense at a $5000 minimum limit, but higher limits may be purchased. In the case of injury to an employee, workers compensation may come into play.
• Uninsured motorist coverage – pays for your injuries caused by an uninsured or a hit-and-run driver. Underinsured motorist coverage provides coverage for cases in which the at-fault driver has insufficient insurance to cover your medical expenses over and above your own medical limit.
• Comprehensive physical damage coverage – pays for damage to or replacement of your vehicle from fire, theft, vandalism, glass breakage ,flood, and other covered perils not related to collision.
• Collision coverage – pays for damage to your car when it hits or is hit by another object.